December 9, 2010 9:15 PM

printer

Retired SC Judge to probe 2G spectrum issue from 2001

The Department of Telecommunication is to set up a one-man Committee to go into the spectrum allocation from 2001. Announcing this at a press conference in New Delhi today, the Communication and IT Minister Mr. Kapil Sibal said that the retired Supreme Court Judge S. Patil will be appointed for the purpose. He said, that the committee will identify instances of lack of transparencies and lapses in the policies on the issue.It will check from the files to see if these policies were violated and will also be looking into the procedures of the DoT in this regard. He said that the Committee will submit its report within four weeks. The panel will also suggest remedies for spectrum allocation.The CBI is already investigating the alleged irregularities in the allocation of 2G Spectrum. Our correspondent says that the former Communication and IT Minister Mr. A. Raja resigned last month after a CAG report was tabled in Parliament on the issue. The report had said that the rates at which the 2G spectrum was allotted resulted in a possible loss to the tune of 1.76 lakh crore rupees to the exchequer. The opposition has been demanding a JPC probe into the issue but the government has rejected it saying that it is politically motivated.

Most Read
View All arrow-right

No posts found.