Government has decided to issue show cause notices to telecom companies in 85 cases for alleged violation of eligibility norms for getting 2G spectrum. They have been asked why their licenses should not be cancelled for failing to fulfill the eligibility criteria at the time of filing their applications. The Department of Telecommunication will also issue notices in 119 instances, dating back to 2006, for not complying with roll-out obligations. The Communications and IT Minister Mr. Kapil Sibbal said that notices will be sent to each of them separately and they will be asked to respond in 60 days time. Replying to a number of questions, Mr. Sibbal said that the government is not averse to Supreme Court monitoring investigations into alleged irregularities in 2G spectrum allocation. With regard to the pricing of the 2G Spectrum, Mr. Sibbal said that it is a complex issue and it is only after getting all the facts and thorough analysis that anything can be said about it. He also said that if there are breaches of licensers, legal consequences will follow. Mr. Sibbal also said there is no question protecting the guilty and it will honour the rule of law. AIR correspondent says that the CAG report on 2G spectrum tabled in Parliament had stated that 85 out of 122 new licenses were granted to those companies which did not satisfy the eligibility conditions. It said that they had used fraudulent means for getting the licenses by suppressing facts, disclosing incomplete information and submitting fictitious documents to DoT. The CBI today submitted to the Supreme Court the status report on its ongoing investigations into the alleged 2G spectrum allocation scam. The status report was submitted to the apex court registry in a sealed cover. The apex court, earlier on November 25, had castigated the CBI on why it had not questioned former Telecom Minister A Raja and the Telecom Secretary in the case.The Court said, the agency was beating around the bush when illegality is prima facie evident. A bench of justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly during the hearing had lambasted CBI for failing to examine the former minister and the telecom secretary, saying that it was the minimum expected of it as the criticism had come from CAG, a Constitutional authority.CBI had offered to place a status report on Tuesday before the court which also took on record the CAG report placed by Centre for Public Interest Litigation counsel Prashant Bhushan. The CAG had estimated a presumptive loss of around one lakh 76 thousand crore rupees to the public exchequer due to allocation of spectrum to various allegedly ineligible telecom operators at throw away prices.
News On AIR | November 29, 2010 8:54 PM
Govt to send notices to Telecom companies in 85 cases for violating norms in getting 2G licenses