December 8, 2010 9:03 PM

printer

2G scam: CBI recovers incriminating documents during raids

The CBI today said that incriminating documents have been recovered during raids carried out to investigate the alleged irregularities in the allotment of Unified Access Service Licenses for 2G Spectrum.The raids were carried out in Delhi and Chennai including the premises of former Communication and Information Technology Minister A Raja. CBI spokesperson Vinita Thakur said that no arrests or detentions have been made so far. Apart from A. Raja, the raids were conducted at the premises of former officials of Department of Telecommunication – DOT – at 14 places.They included the premises of Raja's Private Secretary R.K Chandolia, former DOT Secretary Sidhartha Behuria, former Member of Telecommunication K. Sridhar, former Deputy Director General of Access Service Wing of DoT A. K. Srivastava and the Managing Director of Greehnouse Exports in Chennai Sadiqui Basha.The CBI had earlier registered a case on the 21st of October last year against unknown officials and some unknown private persons and companies under the Prevention of Corruption Act.She said that there had been allegations of serious irregularities in giving the licenses to private companies. She said that according to the information received there was a criminal conspiracy between certain officials of the DoT and private companies and persons in awarding the liscences by putting a cap on the number of applicants against the recommendations of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India – TRAI .The CBI said that licenses were awarded to private companies on the first come first serve basis on 2001 rates without any competitive bidding. Reacting to the CBI raids on former Telecom minister A. Raja's residences, the DMK President and Tamil Nadu Chief minister M. Karunanidhi today said the party will continue to back Raja.He said the he did not consider the raids as a humiliation. Speaking to newsmen in Chennai today, he said the DMK will not let Raja down, till the allegations against him are proved.Karunanidhi said if the charges are proved, the party will take action against Raja.

Most Read
View All arrow-right

No posts found.